Buy Real Estate w/
No $ or Credit!
FREE Kit Now!

--------------------------
Hard Money Lenders
You Need To Be Listed
Click Here Now!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 04, 2015, 02:19:20 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Free Monthly Update
Name:
Email:
Buy Real Estate w/
No $ or Credit!
FREE Kit Now!

--------------------------
Hard Money Lenders
You Need To Be Listed
Click Here Now!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 04, 2015, 02:19:20 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Free Monthly Update
Name:
Email:
Click Here to Register for the Discussion Forums
Real Estate Investing Forums | Real Estate Investing | Rehabbing, Landlording Forum (Moderators: $Cash$, Bluemoon06, kdhastedt, Mdhaas, motivatedceo) | Topic: Collecting past due rent
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Collecting past due rent  (Read 704 times)
pooks130

« on: February 27, 2007, 09:36:27 PM »

We have some tenants that we have a court date for to hopefully get evicted very soon.  My question is does anyone have any information on  how to go about collecting past due rent?  Do I need a judgment.  Can I take them to small claims court?  Can I put it on their credit report?  If so, how? I live in Illinois.  Thanks. 
Report to moderator   Logged
propertymanager

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 06:50:24 AM »

pooks,

You need to talk to your lawyer to get the exact procedure in your state.  In Ohio, we can file a "second cause of action" along with the eviction.  This "second cause" is about the money damages and you can easily get a judgement.  The problem isn't getting a judgement, the problem is collecting.  Many deadbeat tenants are constantly moving and changing jobs (if they work at all).  It is VERY DIFFICULT to collect from tenants.  I usually don't even try, unless they have a good job that they've had for a long time.

Good Luck,

Mike
Report to moderator   Logged

www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRichs.com 
This No-Hype, No-Nonsense Book is a step by step course in making money and building wealth with rental properties!  Everything from buying properties at a discount to dealing with terrible tenants.  Now In Paperback!
Pages: [1]
Print 
Real Estate Investing Forums | Real Estate Investing | Rehabbing, Landlording Forum (Moderators: $Cash$, Bluemoon06, kdhastedt, Mdhaas, motivatedceo) | Topic: Collecting past due rent
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length