Press Releases

Handyman/Contractors
Make It Easy To Be Found
Click Here Now!

--------------------------
Deal Analysis Tips
Market-tested Techniques
Click Here Now!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2014, 11:09:48 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Free Monthly Update
Name:
Email:
Click Here to Register for the Discussion Forums
Real Estate Investing Forums | Real Estate Investing | Rehabbing, Landlording Forum (Moderators: $Cash$, Bluemoon06, kdhastedt, Mdhaas, motivatedceo) | Topic: Property Ladder TV show on TLC « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: Property Ladder TV show on TLC  (Read 29158 times)
MikeInCali

« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2006, 12:11:40 PM »

With any of the reality shows its all in the editing.  They have to shape some drama to make it an interesting story.  Plus it's days and days of video that must be taken down to 45 mins.
Report to moderator   Logged
DannyTheGreat

« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2006, 01:22:29 PM »

Im with ya cherdwelth. I'm from MD.

p.s.- I challenge you to a duel !!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."- Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral- After the attack on Pearl Harbor
cherdwelth

« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2006, 04:15:48 PM »

Ahh, Maryland ...that explains it ... LOL .. Just Kidding!! My good high school friend just moved from Annapolis to Virginia Beach. Maryland is a very pretty state. I'm from Arizona.

Okay, how about nailguns!  :o LOL

Annie

« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2006, 06:22:17 AM »

Curious to know what happened to the property that you saw on the show?

TJ's Craftsman house

After 21 weeks on the market, TJ's Craftsman house sold for $680,000. The sale closed after TJ had made nearly $30,000 in additional mortgage payments. Although his gross profit is $27,200, TJ had to pay realtors' fees, taxes and penalties. He calculates that his net profit after expenses will be less than $14,000. He still hopes to be able to pay back his parents.  TJ says that, if given the opportunity, he will flip again.

Miriam "Annie" Gaddis
Gaddis Properties
Jack99

« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2006, 10:06:35 PM »

As far as what is real and what is not;

I have watched a couple of epiodes of Flip this House (the guys in atlanta). IMO the show was 75% scripted. And hence, I don't watch the show anymore.

The main reason I like property ladder is that although they have a clear formula for editing the show (spend the first 55 mintues making the rehabber look like an idiot, and making Kirsten look like a genius, then puff up the numbers at the end to make the rehabbers look victorious),  for the most part the actual events look genuine.

I really disliked the Florida duo's remodel because I got the impression that they were intentionally looking goofy for the benifit of the camera.

As far as adding a 3rd bedroom to the El Segudo house-- I don't think they would have gotten a permit to build that close to the property line. IMO Kirsten is an actor first, a designer and Real Estate agent second and a remodeller third, I doubt that the lot set back issue crossed her mind.
cherdwelth

« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2006, 11:40:24 AM »

Hi Jack - I agree. I watched the El Segundo episode again last night. I never got to see the ending. Now I see that as the show ended, their profit was running away from them and after months had no sale. Moral of that story ... investigate wisely what you purchase. You can't just buy any house and think it will be profitable no matter how nice it looks inside.

Chad - WI

« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2006, 07:05:56 PM »

I think Property Ladder is more realistic than Flip This House, at least for the smaller do-it-yourself investors.  But, I like watching all of these shows for the inspiration as well as being able to watch something I have an interest in.

Chad - WI
Jack99

« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2008, 11:17:21 PM »

From July 24,2005:
For all of you discussing the California real estate market, let me try and answer your assumptions.    ...as far as a bubble bursting, well, if it hasn't burst yet, it isn't going to.  This area got hit so hard during the internet bust, and guess what, property values still went up.  The problem with California is that 1) a lot of people want to live here, and they are moving here constantly 2) there is no where to build in the best places to live 3) foreigners with money or high paying jobs in Silicon Valley are moving here and are able to pay $$$ for housing.

I haven't posted in this forum for a long time, but for some reason I was recently reminded of the above quote by a CA true believer circa 2005. I just love the sentiment-"if it hasn't burst yet, it isn't going to!". And said with such conviction. Bwwwwwwhhhhhaaaa!
Hugh0997

« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2008, 01:24:49 AM »

I read Kristens book.  By low and do minor repairs is what I got out of it.  She always has great info AFTER someone bought a house and is in trouble, never before.  Who knows her book says that how she made a living, in real estate.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print 
Real Estate Investing Forums | Real Estate Investing | Rehabbing, Landlording Forum (Moderators: $Cash$, Bluemoon06, kdhastedt, Mdhaas, motivatedceo) | Topic: Property Ladder TV show on TLC « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length