Press Releases

Hard Money Lenders
You Need To Be Listed
Click Here Now!

--------------------------
Great Cash Flow
With Less Risk
Click Here Now!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 03:17:16 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Free Monthly Update
Name:
Email:
Click Here to Register for the Discussion Forums
Real Estate Investing Forums | Real Estate Investing | Asset Protection, Legal and Contract Issues, Income Taxes, 1031 Exchanges (Moderators: $Cash$, Bluemoon06, kdhastedt, Mdhaas, motivatedceo) | Topic: Are quit-claim deeds legal in tx? - Uh... what do i write here? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Are quit-claim deeds legal in tx? - Uh... what do i write here?  (Read 6827 times)
agkatz

« on: October 16, 2002, 10:01:24 PM »

If so, would you use one to get a divorced spouse to relinquish her ownership in the property to the remaining spouse, so that you are only dealing with one party?

- Adam.
Report to moderator   Logged

"... Just by placing hundreds of tiny, classified ads from my little one-bedroom apartment," Don Lapre.
Charles E. Brown

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2002, 08:31:34 AM »

Quit claims deeds are legal.  However, title company's prefer that you use a special warranty deed instead.  Typically, both husband and wife are on the mortgage.  Therefore, if one spouse conveys their interest in the property to the other spouse it is done by special warranty deed and the spouse receiving title executes a Deed of Trust to Secure Assumptions (DTSA).  The DTSA will allow the spouse conveying his interest to the other spouse to take the property back if the spouse owning the property fails to make the payments.

Charles E. Brown, Attorney at Law,
Board Certified in Commercial and Residential Real Estate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
818 W. 10th Street
Austin, Texas 78701
(512) 476-8942, fax (512) 477-5850
Admin
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2002, 08:00:40 PM »

agkatz,
What I've seen numerous times is a divorce decree that states that one spouse is entitled to the property (no pun intended), yet either a deed was never executed or the divorce attorney never filed it. Obviously, a simple recording is not typically a big deal, but trying to get an ex-spouse to sign a deed so the remaining spouse can sell the property can be fun, to include bribery, threats, blackmail, etc.

I was only vaguely aware of the DTSA and have never seen that in a divorce situation, although I've met with many folks who wish they had one when the remaining spouse gets behind and just ignores the situation.

Thanks for the tip, CB.

There's Only Two Things in Life: Reasons and Results.  Reasons don't count.  - Anonymous
Pages: [1]
Print 
Real Estate Investing Forums | Real Estate Investing | Asset Protection, Legal and Contract Issues, Income Taxes, 1031 Exchanges (Moderators: $Cash$, Bluemoon06, kdhastedt, Mdhaas, motivatedceo) | Topic: Are quit-claim deeds legal in tx? - Uh... what do i write here? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length